We take your privacy seriously.
- What information we collect, and how and why we collect it
- How we use or process that information
- How you can contact us if you have questions
This website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
Controller, Processor, and Data Privacy Officer
This privacy notice is issued on behalf of Gottlieb & Janey, LLP which is responsible for processing your data and is the controller and responsible party for this website.
Our Data Privacy Officer is Joan Soto, who can be reached at 212-566-7766 or via email at Jsoto@gottliebjaney.com or regular mail at 111 Broadway Ste. 701 New York, NY 10006.
We hope that we can resolve any concern you may raise about this website or our use of your information. If you live or work in the European Union or European Economic Area, theGeneral Data Protection Regulation gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority where you work, normally live, or where any alleged violation of data protection laws occurred. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns ourselves first, and will endeavor to address all issues to your reasonable satisfaction if you contact us in the first instance.
Collection of Personal Information
Information We Collect About You and How and Why We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our website, including information by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number (“personal information”). We collect this information directly from you when you provide it to us. The information we collect on or through our website from you may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our website, subscribing to our services, posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
Personal Information collected online through our site may also be supplemented with information you provide to us through other Gottlieb & Janey, online or offline services. We also may receive or acquire information about our visitors, job seekers, customers and suppliers from third party partners such as background check providers or other sources such as information from publicly available sites.
If you submit any personal information relating to others to us or to our service providers in connection with our sites or services, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Uses of Personal Information
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us and we have a proper reason to do so, such as:
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- for the performance of our professional services for you or to take steps at your request before commencing our services;
- for our legitimate business or commercial interests or those of a third party and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.; or
- where you have given consent.
Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party)
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
The table below explains the purpose for which we use or process your personal data and our reasons for doing so:
Our Purpose in Using Your Personal Data
Our reasons for Using or Processing the Personal Data
Type of Data
To provide Gottlieb & Janey legal services to you
For the performance of performing our services or to take steps at your request before performing the services
Operational reasons, such as improving efficiency
For our legitimate interests or those of a third-party, i.e. to make sure we are following our own internal procedures so we can deliver the best service to you
Ensuring the confidentiality of commercially sensitive information
For our legitimate interests or those of a third-party, i.e. to protect our intellectual property and other commercially valuable information
To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of clients for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
We may use the personal information in any other way we may describe when you provide the information, and for any other purpose with your consent. We may also use the personal information we receive for the purposes of creating aggregated statistics that do not reveal the identity of any person.
Our promotional offers
We may use your personal data to send you updates (by email, text message, telephone, or regular mail) about legal developments that might be of interest to you and/or information about our services, including offers, promotions or new services. We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data for promotional purposes (see above “Use of Personal Information”). This means we do not usually need your consent to send you promotional communications.
Sharing with Third Parties
Gottlieb & Janey does not share your personal data with others unless we are legally required to do so in order to respond to or comply with any applicable law, regulation, or court order. We may also do so to prevent fraud or threats to the safety of any person, or to exercise our legal or other rights, or defend against legal claims.
We do not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to any other company, unless you have given us permission to do so.
How long your personal data will be kept
We will keep your personal data after we have finished acting for you. We will do so for one of these reasons:
- to respond to any questions, complaints or claims made by you or on your behalf;
- to show that we treated you fairly;
- to keep records required by law.
We will not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this policy. When it is no longer necessary to retain your personal data, we will delete it. In some circumstances, you can ask us to delete your data: see Your Rights below for further information.
We may anonymize your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you for research or statistical purposes. If we do that, we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
You have the right to request copies of and access to your personal information, correct your personal information, delete personal data, and request that we stop sending you any direct marketing communications. In this regard, you have the right to opt out of receiving promotional communications at any time by:
- contacting us by emailing Jsoto@gottliebjaney.com
- using the ‘unsubscribe’ link in emails
Where your personal data is held
Information may be held at our offices and those of our third-party agencies, service providers, representatives, and sometimes agents.
We maintain your data in the United States of America and many of our third-party agencies, service providers, representatives, and agents are based in the United States of America. If you are from the European Union or European Economic Area, processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the European Union or European Economic Area. We ensure protection is afforded to your data by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We use providers based in the USA which are part of the Privacy Shield, requiring them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.
- If we are using non-USA providers, we will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission. For further details, see European Commission: Adequacy of the protection of personal data in non-EU countries.
- On rare occasions where we may use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe. For further details, see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EU or EEA.
Safeguards and Notification
Gottlieb & Janey uses physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect against the unauthorized use, disclosure, modification, destruction, or theft of any of your personal information under our control.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. If we have given you or where you have chosen a password or key for access to certain parts of our website or services, you are responsible for keeping this password or key confidential. We ask you not to share your password or key with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the website.
As required by any applicable law, Gottlieb & Janey will notify affected individuals of any breach of its security measures involving personal information under its control if it is reasonable to believe that the breach creates risk of significant harm to the individual. Such notice shall be made as soon as possible after Gottlieb & Janey determines that a breach has occurred.